Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Marathon Weekend (Literally)

This is Danny. We just had a great weekend as a family. I had a dental school interview at Indiana University in Indianapolis, which is about 2 hours north of us here in Louisville. So Brynn and Morgan picked me up from my work on Thursday evening and, after stopping off for some Five Guys and Graeter's Ice Cream, we headed for Indy. Our hotel was right across the street from Lucas Oil Stadium where the Colts play. That night, we got to bed early in preparation for the next days activities. Friday morning, we all went to the dental school for the open house they had prepared. We took a tour of the school, met with faculty and students, and Morgan was basically a super star. Everywhere she went, people would huddle around. That night, we went to an awesome New York style pizza place, swam at the hotel, and watched one of the Harry Potters on TV. The real adventure started the next morning. My interview was at 9:00 AM and our hotel was about 3 miles from the school, so I left at 8:30 so that I would be plenty early. I drove about a mile and was brought to a complete (and trapped on all sides) stop because apparently there was a marathon that crossed my path to the school. I called every number that the dental school has, but no one was picking up (it was a Saturday morning). So around 8:50 I called Brynn just to let her know about my situation. She, being the problem solver that she is, tells me that she is on her way. So, she ran the mile to the car with Morgan in her arms (the stroller was in the car) and I hopped out and ran the remaining 2 miles to the school in my suit. Luckily (I guess) it was freezing so I didn't sweat really at all, but I did catch a glimpse of my beet-red face and nose in the glass as I entered the building. The financial aid guy who was acting as a receptionist simply said, "Let me guess, the marathon?" It was about 9:15, but everyone was super cool about it. I grabbed a few breaths and a water and went in to my interview. I explained the situation to my interviewers (one student and one faculty member), and said that I thought that I had just qualified for the Boston. They laughed and the rest of the interview went great. In fact, I think that it was the best that I have had this, or last year. Brynn just drove straight to the school after the traffic broke and she was waiting outside nervously when I got out. She was glad to hear that it had all panned out. Ryan and Ashley Baker then drove up from Louisville and we met them for lunch at Chipotle (they don't have them in Louisville). After lunch we went to the Indianapolis Children's Museum, which is the largest in the world. We spent the whole afternoon there and only saw about half of it. The kids had a blast, and after hitting up another good pizza place for dinner, we drove home. It was a much needed weekend for all of us. That was my final of 4 interviews before December 1, which is the first day that dental schools can accept applicants, so we would love your prayers in our behalf. Here are some pictures from our weekend.

Morgan at the Barbie exhibit.


I am considering becoming a pageant dad after Morgan's debut on the runway.


Morgan acting like a penguin at the North Pole exhibit.


Playing in the waterways.


Ryan and I helped the kids build this archway.


Riding the carousel.


About to get attacked by a raptor.


Practicing our dinosaur sounds.


Excavating at the dig site.


Morgan and Matthew ready to dig.


The view of the stadium from our hotel.



2 comments:

Jenna said...

That sounds like quite the weekend! Best of luck with getting in to dental school!

Kristy said...

I want to go to that museum, with or without my kids. Glad you had such a great weekend, and that you now have an awesome story to tell. And it cracks me up that you guys like Chipotle so much...kind of reminds me of my love for Cafe Rio. We are praying for you guys!