Friday, October 9, 2009

3 Dental School Interviews (by Danny)

I had a very interesting experience yesterday. My good friend Spencer Hill is also applying to dental school this year, and he was telling me about his latest interview invitation. He said that he had caught wind that Creighton University was conducting interviews this upcoming week at the University of Utah and that you were supposed to call in to see if you had an interview. So he did. The secretary told him his name was on "the list" and he set up an interview time. I found this to be very strange, because usually when a school is interested in you, they at least have the courtesy to contact you and let you know. So, of course, the thing that I did the very next morning (yesterday) was call to see if I was on "the list." Except, I didn't get the secretary when I called, I got the head of admissions. I asked him if there were anymore available interview times and he proceeds to talk to me like a five year old. "Son, applicants just don't call in for an interview. When a school is interested, they will contact you for an interview." (Talking very slow and pronouncing each word very carefully) By this point, I have used my finely tuned deduction skills to come to the conclusion that my name was not on "the list." Figuring that I have nothing to lose at this point, I simply begin pitching myself to this guy. I tell him that I feel like my application is as competitive as any. Whatever I lack in grades and DAT score, I more than make up for in dental experience, volunteering, leadership experience, etc. He, at this point, extends me the courtesy of talking to me like an adult. He thanks me for calling, and that was that. Then last night, as I was putting Morgan to bed, my phone rang and Brynn answers, "Hi, Danny's phone, this is his wife speaking." -"Hi, this is Dr. Powell. Is Danny available?" She passes me the phone and apologizes for her sarcastic secretary skills. Dr. Powell tells me how my phone call earlier that day had thrown him off guard, but how he was impressed by my tenacity to deliver a cold call like that (which of course, was not my intention at first). He was so impressed, in fact, that after hanging up with me, he went and took my application to the admissions committee and spoke in my behalf. Long story short, I now have a third dental school interview at Creighton University (I had one two weeks ago with the University of Louisville, and have one coming up at UNLV). Just another one of those tender mercies. We would appreciate your prayers with regards to converting at least one of our interviews into an acceptance on December 1.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

we're praying for you guys. good luck!

Pierce and Stacy said...

Ha! That's great. SOOOOO Brynn and good job talking yourself up! Love that story. Good luck and we WILL be praying for you.

Lindsey Bench said...

So bold! I hope you told Keegan that story today. Perhaps he should get on the phone and talk to some of his schools. Or have you do it for him. Way to go.

Erin and Corey said...

How cool is that? that's awesome, Danny. Congrats. You are definitely in our prayers. Sounds like it's already working out really well.

Kristy said...

AMAZING! Danny, you are such a stud.

Matt and Dani said...

Awesome story!! good Luck!!!

Anonymous said...

Really interesting story,Good read and learn and I really enjoy reading it..


las vegas pediatric dentist