Friday, August 13, 2010

9:41

This is Danny. Do you have a time that you always see? This is a question that I have asked friends, family, and acquaintances for many years now. Half of the people I ask have no idea what I am talking about. Of the other half, I would say that half of them instantly spout off a time. This conversation usually begins when I look at a clock, my watch, or cell phone and see the time 9:41. I don't really recall when I started noticing it, but I see the time 9:41 at least every other day, most times more. I think that I started making a mental note of it when as a child growing up in Las Vegas my favorite radio station was 94.1. I would look at my radio and see 9:41 and 94.1 right on top of one another. A few years ago, I noticed that every product that Apple advertises, whether it be an iMac, a Macbook, or the iPhone has the time of 9:41 on it, though occasionally there is a 9:42 thrown in there. So yesterday, my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to do some research on why Apple does this. It turns out that every keynote address that Steve Jobs or another Apple exec delivers starts at 9:00. They practice their speeches for hours on end and a picture of the new product is always revealed 40 minutes into the speech. They give themselves a minute (or two) of leeway so that when the product shows up on the screen, the time on the product matches the times on the watches of those in the audience. Leave it to Apple to think of every little detail. So there you have it, the cosmos aren't aligning to make me the next CEO of Apple. But I still think that I will notice 9:41 until I die. So, do you have a time that you always see?

3 comments:

Victoria Blanchard said...

9:11 (especially since 9/11) and 12:34. And sometimes I know what time it will be before I look, even if I haven't seen the time in an hour or so.

EmmaLeigh said...

That is so crazy. I have noticed there are times where I will notice the time at 11:11 for days in a row. Another time that I can almost just sense is 11:57 PM. I must be because for years I always try to get in bed before midnight and so somehow I just sense that it is close and I always end up checking at 11:57. Strange.

Hallie said...

Dear Brynn,

Update the blog.

Hallie